Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Soft Pretzels....Vegan? I dare you to try!

My family LOVES to eat bread in almost whatever form it comes in.  Before we were eating gluten free, this wasn't a problem. I could whip up a loaf or two or three of delicious whole wheat bread without more than a few thoughts and some attention to rise times.  Now, I've about given up hope of ever making a really good loaf of gluten free bread.

It's okay, though. I've redeemed myself with soft pretzels.  They're January's recipe of the month, because they are our favorite and can be made so many different ways!  Saturday, I'll share my favorite dip for them, which I won't even pretend is healthy, but the men in your life will love you for making it!

If you haven't tried making them from the recipe before, then you should.  Are you wondering how to make them dairy free or even vegan? Wondering if they'd taste just as good if you did?  Let me tell you how!

Make these substitutes:
Milk - Coconut Milk
Butter - Coconut Oil
** You'll want to heat these together in the microwave or on the stovetop just until the oil melts. It'll be hot enough at that point to wake up your yeast.
Eggs - 3Tbsp flax seed meal mixed with 1/2 cup HOT water. Let this sit until it is the consistency of raw egg whites. That usually takes about 5-10 minutes.

Follow the recipe precisely with these substitutes and you'll have vegan soft pretzels that not even your pickiest eater will know are gluten free, much less vegan!

You should definitely try these for hamburgers and open faced cheese sandwichs!

Did you miss the calendar?  Still want the recipes? They're still available here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/213477659/gluten-free-and-allergy-friendly-recipe?



No comments:

Post a Comment